House Committee on Appropriations - 86th R.S. (2019)
- Giovanni Capriglione, Chair
- John Zerwas, Chair
- Oscar Longoria, Vice Chair
- Cecil Bell, Jr.
- Greg Bonnen
- Brad Buckley
- Giovanni Capriglione
- Philip Cortez
- Sarah Davis
- Gary Gates
- Mary González
- Cole Hefner
- Donna Howard
- Jarvis Johnson
- Rick Miller
- Ina Minjarez
- Sergio Muñoz, Jr.
- Toni Rose
- Matt Schaefer
- J.D. Sheffield
- Carl Sherman, Sr.
- Reggie Smith
- Lynn Stucky
- Steve Toth
- John Turner
- Gary VanDeaver
- Armando Walle
- Terry Wilson
- Gene Wu
Monitor and oversee the implementation of appropriations bills and other relevant legislation passed by the 86th Legislature. In conducting this oversight, the Committee will also specifically monitor implementation of appropriations for:
- Human and sex trafficking legislation;
- Revenue projections for the Crime Victims' Compensation Fund; and
- Implementation of procurement and contracting reforms at state agencies.
- Review and evaluate the actuarial soundness of the Employees Retirement System and Teacher Retirement System pension funds. Examine the cost of and potential strategies for achieving and maintaining the actuarial soundness of the funds. Examine the effect the unfunded liabilities could have on the state's credit rating. Examine the state's investment policies and practices, including investment objectives, targets, disclosure policies, and transparency. (Joint charge with the House Committee on Pensions, Investments & Financial Services)
- Examine the cost of state employee turnover on the state budget and review the impact of recent targeted salary increases, including those at the Health and Human Services Commission and the Texas Department of Criminal Justice.
- Evaluate the volume and efficacy of reporting requirements required in the General Appropriations Act and identify opportunities to streamline and consolidate agency reporting requirements.
- Monitor the implementation of SB 68 86th R.S., providing for expanded implementation of the Strategic Fiscal Review process.
- Examine the number, type, and estimated value of accounts maintained outside of the State Treasury, and the potential impact to state budget certification made by moving additional funds outside the Treasury.
- Identify structural changes that can be made to the Economic Stabilization Fund (ESF) in order to maximize investments and establish a source of funding for long-term liabilities. Examine the potential of using the fund for long-term infrastructure projects and the impact of the constitutional cap on the ESF balance.
- Monitor the State Auditor's review of agencies and programs. The Chair shall seek input and periodic briefings on completed audits for the 2019 and 2020 fiscal years with potential impact on the appropriations process and bring forth pertinent issues for full committee consideration.
John Zerwas, Chair, 1/23/2019 - 9/30/2019; Giovanni Capriglione appointed Chair 1/17/2020.
Represenative Zerwas, letter of resignation, 8/7/2019
Appointment letter, Speaker Dennis Bonnen, 1/17/2020
Gary Gates appointed 2/18/2020.
Appointment letter, Speaker Dennis Bonnen, 2/18/2020
Information on this website is provided as a public service by the Legislative Reference Library. The Legislative Reference Library makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy and makes no warranty in regard to its use. Users assume all risk of reliance on the information included on this site.