LRL Home - Legislation - State Budget
Texas State Budget
Budget process for the 2024-2025 biennium*
- Fiscal Year 2024 begins September 1, 2023; agencies begin spending appropriated funds.
- During the two years of the budget cycle, state agencies report to the LBB regarding their performance relative to
performance targets. Some agencies will be audited by the State Auditor's Office (SAO).
- The Texas Comptroller presents certification revenue estimates, detailing the data used to certify the General Appropriations Act and other appropriations bills approved by the Legislature.
LBB: Legislative Budget Board;
GOBPP: Governor's Office of Budget, Planning & Policy;
LAR: Legislative Appropriations Request.
*Dates of events are approximate.
View budget timeline for the 2012-13 biennium | 2014-15 biennium | 2016-17 biennium | 2018-19 biennium | 2020-21 biennium | 2022-23 biennium
Budget documents and information
- General Appropriations Act documents for the current biennium
- Governor's proposed base budget
- Biennial Revenue Estimate 2022-2023 (Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts)
- Detailed biennial revenue estimate as required of the Comptroller by Article III, Section 49a of the Texas Constitution.
- Agency Legislative Appropriations Requests (Legislative Budget Board)
- Texas Annual Cash Report (Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts)
- The Legislative Budget Board website
- Documents from the current budgeting session are being continually added to this site. Other documents produced by the LBB, including Fiscal Size-Up and Texas Fact Book, are also available.
Past appropriations bills
- General appropriations acts (40th, 1st C.S. - 86th R.S.)
- Scanned versions of general appropriations acts and major biennial appropriations bills from 1927 - 2019.
Total appropriations by session, 1963 - 2017 (58th R.S. - 85th R.S.)
- Chart showing the total amount appropriated by each general appropriations act from the 58th through 85th Legislatures.
Information about the budget process
- Budget 101: A guide to the budget process in Texas (Senate Research Center, January 2021)
- Detailed primer on the budget-writing process in Texas. Includes descriptions of the legislative budgeting process, as well as the activities of other state offices and agencies, and provides a useful glossary of terms.
- Budget and Finance (Texas Comptroller)
- Includes links for budget and expenditure search tools, as well as budget, financial and economic reports produced by the Texas Comptroller.
- Writing the state budget: 87th Legislature (House Research Organization, February 2021)
- Overview of the budget-writing process currently underway in the 86th Legislature.
Includes a discussion of constitutional limits on state spending
Older budget documents
Older appropriations bills that are not available online may be found in print in the General and Special Laws of Texas at the Legislative Reference Library and several other Texas depository libraries.
State agency budgets, legislative appropriations requests, agency strategic plans, and other primary documents related to the budget process are also available in print at the Legislative Reference Library.
Please call the Library at 512-463-1252 for additional information.
Information on this website is provided as a public service by the Legislative Reference Library. The Legislative Reference Library makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy and makes no warranty in regards to its use. Users assume all risk of reliance on the information included on this site.