LRL Home - Committees - Committee overview
Committee on Finance Subcommittee on Property Appraisal and Revenue Caps - 80th R.S. (2007)
Review the property tax appraisal system, including the following:
- the duties and responsibilities of chief appraisers and appraisal districts;
- any abuses that occur in the appraisal process;
- the process of appointing the members of boards of directors of appraisal districts;
- the impact of adding members to the boards of directors of appraisal districts who are not appointed by the taxing jurisdictions of the district and methods for appointing these additional directors;
- the usefulness of information provided in a notice of appraised value;
- the impact of HB 1010 80th R.S., relating to appraisal districts crossing county lines;
- any benefit from requiring more uniformity in appraisal standards used by appraisal districts;
- any revisions to the property valuation appeal system that could reduce the cost of dispute resolution;
- the likelihood of, and any associated benefit from, increased compliance with the existing business personal property rendition law if chief appraisers are given limited audit authority.
Study the benefits and limitations of property tax appraisal caps compared to a limit on revenue a local jurisdiction can receive without the approval of the voters in the locality. Consider alternative sources of funding to replace property tax revenues.
Study the cost and benefit to the state of projects approved by school districts limiting the value of business investment under the Texas Economic Development Act (Ch 313, Tax Code), and the funding impact on public schools.
Review the practice of school districts approving budgets contingent on the passage of a rate-rollback election.
Information on this website is provided as a public service by the Legislative Reference Library. The Legislative Reference Library makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy and makes no warranty in regard to its use. Users assume all risk of reliance on the information included on this site.