House Committee on Natural Resources - 80th R.S. (2007)
- Monitor ongoing efforts related to joint planning in groundwater management areas, including progress toward setting desired future conditions for aquifers. Examine and evaluate the process relating to an appeal challenging the approval of desired future conditions.
- Review and evaluate the regulator model for investor-owned water and sewer utilities as provided in the Water Code, especially Chapter 13, and Article 1440a of the Public Utility Regulatory Act; rate case processes and timing, consultant fee recovery, and overall cost reductions; and, options for more effective customer participation. Consider consolidated tariffs for companies owning more than one system, and review and evaluate methods for financing expansion to new developments.
- Monitor the implementation of HB 2876 79th R.S., relating to certificates of public convenience and necessity for water service and sewer service.
- Monitor the implementation of legislation enacted by the 80th Legislature, including HB 3 80th R.S., HB 4 80th R.S., and SB 3 80th R.S.; work in conjunction with legislatively created committees, such as the Environmental Flows Advisory Group, the Water Conservation Advisory Council, the Bexar Metropolitan Water District Oversight Committee, and the Joint Interim Committee on State Water Funding.
- Evaluate creating a uniform template for the creation of Municipal Utility Districts or other special districts with addendums for special powers to expedite the creation of new districts.
- Examine "resign to run" rules for soil and water conservation district members in comparison to groundwater district members.
- Study issues related to the current efficacy of flood control devices in Texas, including the condition of aging infrastructure, liability issues, and the legal authority and financing needed to make repairs.
- Review the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality fee structure for water programs and examine the scope of services being funded by such fees and the allocation of resources, including personnel to provide services on a timely basis.
- Monitor the agencies and programs under the committee's jurisdiction.
Charges issued by the Speaker November 30, 2007.
Mike Hamilton appointed chair to fill the vacancy created by the February 1 resignation of Robert Puente (Letter, Tom Craddick, 2/7/2008).
Brandon Creighton appointed vice-chair to fill the vacancy created by Mike Hamilton's appointment as Chair (Letter, Tom Craddick, 3/7/2008).
Roland Gutierrez appointed June 4, 2008 (Press Release, Speaker Tom Craddick, 6/4/2008).
Information on this website is provided as a public service by the Legislative Reference Library. The Legislative Reference Library makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy and makes no warranty in regard to its use. Users assume all risk of reliance on the information included on this site.