House Committee on Revenue and Public Education Funding, Select - 75th R.S. (1997)
- Continue the committee's comprehensive study of the methods and formulas by which public schools are funded, with the goal of averting a constitutional crisis.
- Review the laws, rules, and practices that govern the appraisal of property for purposes of ad valorem taxation, including the appraisal reform legislation enacted by the 75th legislature.
- Study the relative burden of all state and local taxes on major sectors of the state's economy. Evaluate the effect of the tax burden on the competitiveness of each sector.
- Review all issues related to economic development incentives that may reduce school property taxes. The review should include tax abatements, tax increment financing and 4B development corporations.
- Review the state's laws, rules and practices for apportioning receipts from intangible assets under the state franchise tax. The review should include an examination of the current location-of-payor rule, as well as alternatives and their effects on tax equity, business expansion and job creation, and opportunities for tax avoidance.
- Continue the committee's comprehensive review of exceptions and exemptions under the various tax laws of the state.
Information on this website is provided as a public service by the Legislative Reference Library. The Legislative Reference Library makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy and makes no warranty in regard to its use. Users assume all risk of reliance on the information included on this site.