House Committee on Higher Education - 75th R.S. (1997)
- Review the effects of the Hopwood decision and the responses to the decision by institutions of higher learning, including professional schools. Monitor the implementation of HB 588 75th R.S., and policies of the Higher Education Coordinating Board, and assess the impacts of such measures.
- Determine the adequacy of the plans of institutions of higher education and the Higher Education Coordination Board to accomplish projected enrollment increases over the next two decades. Determine the adequacy and cost effectiveness of the plans. Examine the contributions expected of non-traditional methods, such as reducing the number of years to degree, distance learning, and multi-institutional learning arrangements.
- Review the use of special funds in higher education, including funds for the "back-to-basics" initiative, to ensure that they are used effectively and appropriately. Evaluate the success of the recently implemented higher education funding formula.
- Study the trends in costs of a post-secondary education, financial aid, and family incomes; evaluate the effects on access to higher learning by persons of all socio-economic levels.
- Review the Western Governors' University initiative and assess its potential value for Texas institutions.
- Conduct active oversight of agencies under the committee's jurisdiction, including a review of the State Auditor's finding of material weakness in higher education administration of student financial aid programs.
Ciro Rodriguez (Member) resigned 4/17/1997. Carlos Uresti (Member) appointed 7/7/1997.
Information on this website is provided as a public service by the Legislative Reference Library. The Legislative Reference Library makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy and makes no warranty in regard to its use. Users assume all risk of reliance on the information included on this site.