James Vernon Lea
Full Name: James Vernon Lea
Date of birth: January 12, 1850
Date of death: July 4, 1928
Terms of Service top
||Dates of Service
||Counties in District
Jan 23, 1874 - Apr 18, 1876
Cold Spring / San Jacinto
Grimes, Madison, San Jacinto, Walker
The first post office, named Coonskin, was opened in 1847. Within a year the office was renamed Fireman's Hill, and in 1850 the name was changed to Cold Spring, officially respelled Coldspring in 1894.
Handbook of Texas Online
Election Contest, Petition of S.Y. Smith of Walker County, James V. Lea, committee appointment and report, 1/23/1874, pp. 8, 31-32.
James V. Lea unseated Sam Y. Smith in election contest 1/23/1874.
Members of the Texas Congress 1836-1845; Members of the Texas Legislature 1846-2004
Biographical Notes and Resources top
- Obituary, "Rites for Judge James Lea to Be Held Here Thursday," 7/5/1928, p. 4. Birth date 1/12/1850 in Cold Spring, "elected to the state legislature at the age of 20, this precocious accomplishment being made possible only by legislative act making him legally of age."
Daily Court Review (Harris County, Texas).
- Obituaries and photo, James Vernon Lea, "Funeral Service for Judge Lea to Be Held Thursday," 7/4/1928, pp. 15-16. "Captain J.V. Lea; Masons to Have Charge of Lea Funeral Services," 7/5/1928, p. 2.
- Biographical sketch, Sam Y. Smith, pp. 94-95. Birth date 9/29/1841. Smith was elected "in 1874 as a Democratic member of the 14th Texas Legislature, and held the position for two weeks; resigned it to J.V. Lea, also a Democrat, who had received a larger number of votes than himself, but who was refused the certificate of election in consequence of informality in returns. Mr. Smith's magnanimous conduct in giving the position to Mr. Lea was recognized by the House as an act worthy of special mention."
Sketches of Legislators and State Officers, Fifteenth Legislature, 1876-1878, 1876.
- J.V. Lea, Cold Spring, San Jacinto County, lawyer, born in Texas, age 23 (born ca. 1851).
Directory of the Members and Officers of the Fourteenth Legislature of the State of Texas . . ., 1874.
- James Vernon Lea, birth date 1/12/1850 in Cold Spring; death date 7/4/1928 in Houston, Harris County; lawyer.
FamilySearch Texas Deaths, 1890-1976.
- James V. Lea, birth date 1/12/1850, death date 7/4/1928, burial in Glenwood Cemetery, Houston, Harris County.
Find a Grave.
J.V. Lea, 14th Legislature, State Preservation Board
Composite Photographs on Display in the Capitol
Committee Information top
This website is a work in progress. Information on this website is provided as a public service by the Legislative Reference Library. The Legislative Reference Library makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy and makes no warranty in regard to its use. Users assume all risk of reliance on the information included on this site.
Have a question, comment or contribution? Email the Library or call 512-463-1252.
Many photos in Texas Legislators: Past and Present are used with permission of the Texas State Preservation Board. For permission to reproduce these photos, please contact the Texas State Preservation Board graphics coordinator at 512-475-3060.