Stephen Augustus Venters
Full Name: Stephen Augustus Venters
Date of birth: June 27, 1822
Date of death: March 12, 1881
Terms of Service top
||Dates of Service
||Counties in District
Jan 14, 1879 - Jan 11, 1881
Denton / Denton
Jan 14, 1873 - Jan 13, 1874
Denton / Denton
Baylor, Clay, Cooke, Denton, Grayson, Hardeman, Haskell, Jack, Knox, Montague, Throckmorton, Wichita, Wilbarger, Wise, Young
Democrat, 1/14/1879, p. 1.
Galveston Daily News
Biographical Notes and Resources top
Resolutions and Journal entries
- 17th Legislature, R.S., resolution by Mr. Kendall noting the death of Hon. S.A. Venters of Denton County, 3/14/1881, p. 263.
- VENTERS, STEPHEN AUGUSTUS (1822-1881).
Handbook of Texas Online.
- S.A. Venters, portrait and biographical sketch, birth date 6/27/1822, death date 3/12/1881, p. 28; elected to Legislature in 1874, pp. 121-122.
History and Reminiscences of Denton County, 1918.
- Biographical sketch, Stephen Augustus Venters, pp. 265-266. Birth date 6/27/1833 in Pitt County, North Carolina.
Texas Legislative Manual, 1879-80, 1879.
- Census of 1870 - Stephen A. Venters, Denton County, age 48, born circa 1822 in North Carolina, dry goods merchant, living in household with Mary L. and Jefferson D. Venters.
Census of 1880 - Stephen A. Veters [Venters], Denton County, age 58, born circa 1822 in North Carolina, Representative to Legislature of Tex, wife Mary L., son Jefferson D.
- Judge S.A. Venters, birth date 6/27/1822, death date 3/12/1881, burial in Odd Fellows Cemetery, Denton, Denton County.
Find a Grave.
- S.A. Venters, chief justice (county judge), August 1856, p. 64; postmaster at New Alton in 1851, pp. 66-67; and county judge, pp. 76 and 193.
History of Denton County, From Its Beginning to 1960, 1978.
- Death notice, Hon. S.A. Venters, "Letter from Denton County," The Galveston Daily News, 3/17/1881, p. 4, crediting Abilene Library Consortium.
Portal to Texas History (University of North Texas Libraries).
Stephen Venters, 13th Legislature, DeGolyer Library, SMU, Lawrence T. Jones III Collection.
Stephen Venters, 13th Legislature, State Preservation Board
Composite Photographs on Display in the Capitol
Committee Information top
This website is a work in progress. Information on this website is provided as a public service by the Legislative Reference Library. The Legislative Reference Library makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy and makes no warranty in regard to its use. Users assume all risk of reliance on the information included on this site.
Have a question, comment or contribution? Email the Library or call 512-463-1252.
Many photos in Texas Legislators: Past and Present are used with permission of the Texas State Preservation Board. For permission to reproduce these photos, please contact the Texas State Preservation Board graphics coordinator at 512-475-3060.