Full Name: Morris Lasker
Date of birth: February 19, 1840
Date of death: February 28, 1916
Terms of Service top
||Dates of Service
||Counties in District
Apr 18, 1895 - Jan 12, 1897
Galveston / Galveston
Brazoria, Chambers, Galveston, Matagorda, Wharton
Morris Lasker, sworn 4/18/1895, succeeded Miles Crowley, resigned 3/1/1895.
Members of the Texas Congress 1836-1845; Members of the Texas Legislature 1846-2004
Biographical Notes and Resources top
- Biographical sketch and portrait, Volume IV, pp. 418-421. ". . . he served in the State Senate, being elected to fill out an unexpired term in 1895." Includes obituary/editorial tribute printed in Galveston News, 2/29/1916.
East Texas: Its History and Its Makers, 1940.
- LASKER, MORRIS (1840-1916). "When Miles Crowley resigned, Lasker was elected to the Texas Senate in 1895 to serve the remainder of his term."
Handbook of Texas Online.
Military Service Notes
- Confederate States Army, Private, Company H, 2nd Texas Regiment, "transferred to Company E in 1864." Biographical sketch, p. 124.
Texans Who Wore the Gray, 1907.
- "The members of the executive committee for the district in their meeting at Galveston on Tuesday last presented to the democratic voters of the district Mr. M. Lasker as the democratic nominee for the place . . . , "The Senatorial Succession," 3/24/1895, p. 8,
Galveston Daily News.
- Photos and description of the Morris Lasker residence.
Island of Galveston, 2009.
- Obituary, "Morris Lasker Dead; Philanthropist Led Jews of the South in Fight for Life of Leo Frank," 2/29/1916.
New York Times.
M. Lasker, 24th Legislature, State Preservation Board
Composite Photographs on Display in the Capitol
Committee Information top
This website is a work in progress. Information on this website is provided as a public service by the Legislative Reference Library. The Legislative Reference Library makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy and makes no warranty in regard to its use. Users assume all risk of reliance on the information included on this site.
Have a question, comment or contribution? Email the Library or call 512-463-1252.
Many photos in Texas Legislators: Past and Present are used with permission of the Texas State Preservation Board. For permission to reproduce these photos, please contact the Texas State Preservation Board graphics coordinator at 512-475-3060.