Brittie J. Stewart
Full Name: Brittie J. Stewart
Date of birth: April 22, 1898
Date of death: October 9, 1989
Terms of Service top
||Dates of Service
||Counties in District
Jan 9, 1923 - Jan 13, 1925
Barksdale / Edwards
Bandera, Crockett, Edwards, Kerr, Kimble, Mason, Menard, Schleicher, Sutton
Jan 11, 1921 - Jan 9, 1923
Barksdale / Edwards
Bandera, Crockett, Edwards, Kerr, Kimble, Mason, Menard, Sutton
Biographical Notes and Resources top
- Biographical sketch, announcement for State Senate, "B.J. Stewart Drafted for State Senate: Edwards County Tax Payers Support Legislator," Del Rio Evening News, 5/13/1932, pp. 1, 5. Birth date 4/22/1898 near Barksdale, Edwards County, Texas; U.S. Marine Corps, World War I, member of Marine Brigade. "He was selected to the State Legislature from the 86th District in 1921 and served for two terms. He made a good record as a young legislator, and took an active part in the passage of many important bills."
Military Service Notes
- United States Marine Corps, World War I, list of organizations served in and engagements. Brittie J. Stewart, birth date 4/22/1899, residence in Barksdale, Edwards County, Texas.
FamilySearch Texas, World War I Records, 1917-1920 (Texas Military Forces Museum, Austin).
- United States Marine Corps, World War I. Military grave marker, Brittie J. Stewart, birth date 4/22/1898, death date 10/9/1989, burial in Barksdale Cemetery, Barksdale, Edwards County, with spouse Vida Mae Stewart.
Find a Grave.
- Census of 1920 - Brittie J. Stewart, Justice Precinct 6, Edwards County, age 21, born circa 1899, farmer, son of Brittie A. and Viola A. Stewart, sister Leona.
Census of 1930 - B.J. Stewart, Justice Precinct 2, Edwards County, age 31, born circa 1899, farmer, spouse Vida Mae, daughter Magelyn L., son Brit A.
Census of 1940 - B.J. Stewart, Camp Wood, Real County, age 41, born circa 1899, teacher/public school, spouse Veda, daughters Magilyn and Rosemary, son Bret A.
- Brittie J. Stewart, Berksdale, Texas, birth date 4/22/1899.
FamilySearch United States, Veterans Administration Master Index, 1917-1940, 1985.
- B.J. Stewart of Barksdale, announcement for Representative, 115th District; endorsement of Kimble County citizens and veterans, "An Endorsement," 7/23/1920, p. 4.
Kerrville Mountain Sun.
- 38th Legislature (1923) - B.J. Stewart, postoffice Garksdale [sic: Barksdale], nativity Texas, age 25, lawyer and ranchman, member of former legislatures: 37th, Democrat.
37th Legislature (1921) - B.J. Stewart, postoffice Barksdale, teacher and ranchman.
Texas Legislative Manual. 37th
B.J. Stewart, 38th Legislature, State Preservation Board
B.J. Stewart, 37th Legislature, State Preservation Board
Composite Photographs on Display in the Capitol
Committee Information top
This website is a work in progress. Information on this website is provided as a public service by the Legislative Reference Library. The Legislative Reference Library makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy and makes no warranty in regard to its use. Users assume all risk of reliance on the information included on this site.
Have a question, comment or contribution? Email the Library or call 512-463-1252.
Many photos in Texas Legislators: Past and Present are used with permission of the Texas State Preservation Board. For permission to reproduce these photos, please contact the Texas State Preservation Board graphics coordinator at 512-475-3060.