George Coone Hester
Full Name: George Coone Hester
Date of birth: October 13, 1894
Date of death: September 23, 1978
Terms of Service top
||Dates of Service
||Counties in District
Jan 10, 1933 - Jan 8, 1935
Georgetown / Williamson
Name, postoffice, occupation, association membership, relationship to persons in state or county government. Resolution, 9/18/1933, pp. 45-48, and Questionnaire Authorized and Directed by Resolution Adopted by the House, 10/11/1933, pp. 588-601.
Biographical Notes and Resources top
- Obituary and photo of Dr. George C. Hester with U.S. Senator John Tower, "George C. Hester Active in Both City and College," 9/28/1978, p. 10. "Longtime Southwestern University professor and former mayor of Georgetown . . . The professor had a break in his teaching career when he was elected to the Texas Legislature in 1933."
- Biographical sketch, Volume IV, pp. 535-537. Birth date 10/13/1896.
East Texas: Its History and Its Makers, 1940.
- Biographical sketch, history and government Professor George Coone Hester, Southwestern University, The Megaphone (Georgetown, Texas), 2/19/1929, p. 3, crediting Southwestern University. "After one year in the North Texas State Teachers College in Denton, he spent a year in military service, becoming a commissioned officer in the field artillery. At the close of the World War he returned to Denton where he received his Bachelor of Arts in 1920."
Portal to Texas History (University of North Texas Libraries).
Military Service Notes
- Private, Field Artillery Unassigned, World War I. Application for Victory Medal, George Coon Hester, address in Denton, Texas, military service 7/5/1921.
FamilySearch Texas, World War I Records, 1917-1920 (Texas Military Forces Museum, Austin).
- George C. Hester, birth date 10/13/1894 in Burnett [Burnet], Texas, student, draft registration in Burnet County.
FamilySearch United States World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918.
- George C. Hester, birth date 10/13/1894, death date 9/23/1978, burial in Cook-Walden Capital Parks Cemetery and Mausoleum, Pflugerville, Travis County.
Find a Grave.
- Mentioned in TOWER, JOHN GOODWIN (1925-1991).
Handbook of Texas Online.
- George C. Hester as author or coauthor in LRL collection:
Fiscal Policies of the State of Texas, 1941. 351.72 H469F.
A Proposed System of Budgetary Control and Fiscal Management for the State of Texas, 1938. 351.72 H469P.
The Reorganization of Public Higher Education in Texas, 1932. 378.1 H469.
The Sales Tax, by Thomas A. Rousse, explanatory note (forward) by George C. Hester. The University of Texas Publication No. 3838, October 8, 1938. Z UA200.7 B874 3838.
State and Local Government in Texas, Revised Edition, 1948. 353.9764 P277S 1948.
Legislative Reference Library.
- Southwestern University Yearbook (1927) list of students and faculty includes George Coone Hester.
USGenWeb Project, 1996.
Composite Photographs on Display in the Capitol
Committee Information top
This website is a work in progress. Information on this website is provided as a public service by the Legislative Reference Library. The Legislative Reference Library makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy and makes no warranty in regard to its use. Users assume all risk of reliance on the information included on this site.
Have a question, comment or contribution? Email the Library or call 512-463-1252.
Many photos in Texas Legislators: Past and Present are used with permission of the Texas State Preservation Board. For permission to reproduce these photos, please contact the Texas State Preservation Board graphics coordinator at 512-475-3060.