Lonnie Hodges Smith
Full Name: Lonnie Hodges Smith
Date of birth: May 29, 1906
Date of death: January 21, 1989
Terms of Service top
||Dates of Service
||Counties in District
Jan 12, 1937 - Jan 10, 1939
Fort Worth / Tarrant
Jan 8, 1935 - Jan 12, 1937
Fort Worth / Tarrant
Biographical Notes and Resources top
- Obituary and photo, Lonnie Smith, 1/23/1989, p. 3-A. Courtesy Amarillo Public Library. "He [Smith] was a member of the Texas House of Representatives from Denton and Tarrant Counties from 1935 to 1938."
Amarillo Daily News.
Military Service Notes
- United States Navy, World War II. Lonnie Hodges Smith, birth date 5/29/1906, enlistment date 7/21/1942, release date 9/24/1945, death date 1/21/1989. U.S., Department of Veterans Affairs BIRLS Death File, 1850-2010.
- Lonnie Hodges Smith, birth date 5/29/1906 in Cushing, Texas; residence in Fort Worth, Tarrant County, and employed by W.C. Schmidt as of 10/23/1940, contact Mrs. Nannie Smith in Mt. Enterprise, Rusk County; death date 1/21/1989, last residence Amarillo, Randall County. U.S., World War II Draft Cards Young Men, 1940-1947; U.S., Social Security Death Index, 1935-2014.
- Census of 1910 - Lorence [Lonnie] Smith, age 4, born circa 1906 in Texas, son of Thomas L. and Nannie Smith.
Census of 1920 - Lonnie Smith, Mount Enterprise, Rusk County, age 13, born circa 1907 in Texas, farm laborer, son of Thomas L. and Nannie Smith.
Census of 1930 - Lonnie H. Smith, Fort Worth, Tarrant County, age 23, born circa 1907 in Texas, commercial traveler/engraving, son of Nannie Smith.
Census of 1940 - Lonnie H. Smith, Fort Worth, Tarrant County, age 33, born circa 1907 in Texas, salesman/engraving company, head of household, son of Nannie Smith.
- Lonnie Hodges Smith, death date 1/21/1989 in Potter County, Texas.
FamilySearch Texas Death Index, 1964-1998.
- Lonnie H. Smith (1906-1989), burial in Llano Cemetery, Amarillo, Randall County.
Find a Grave.
- "State Senate Candidate Visits in Tarrant County," 5/29/1956, p. 13. "Lonnie Smith of Amarillo, candidate for state senator to represent 16 Panhandle counties . . . served two terms in the Legislature from Tarrant County from 1935 to 1939 . . . After World War II he moved to Amarillo, where he is engaged in the real estate business."
Fort Worth Star-Telegram.
- Occupational and biographical information - 45th Legislature, Chapter 1, "The Big Job," pp. 1-17.
The Legislature and the Texas People, 1937.
- Photo, political advertisement for the State Senate in 1956, "Lonnie Smith Campaigns Here," The Shamrock Texan, 7/26/1956, pp. 2 and 6, crediting the Shamrock Public Library. Lonnie Smith of Potter County. "Mr. Smith is a successful businessman and legislator. He attended Texas Christian University and Simmons University . . . He served two terms in the House of Representative in Texas."
Portal to Texas History (University of North Texas Libraries).
- 45th Legislature (1937) - Lonnie Smith, postoffice Fort Worth, Tarrant County, nativity Texas, age 30 (born circa 1907), real estate, member of former legislatures: 44th.
Texas Legislative Manual.
Lonnie Smith, 45th Legislature, State Preservation Board
Lonnie Smith, 44th Legislature, State Preservation Board
Composite Photographs on Display in the Capitol
Committee Information top
This website is a work in progress. Information on this website is provided as a public service by the Legislative Reference Library. The Legislative Reference Library makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy and makes no warranty in regard to its use. Users assume all risk of reliance on the information included on this site.
Have a question, comment or contribution? Email the Library or call 512-463-1252.
Many photos in Texas Legislators: Past and Present are used with permission of the Texas State Preservation Board. For permission to reproduce these photos, please contact the Texas State Preservation Board graphics coordinator at 512-475-3060.