House Committee on Law Enforcement - 68th R.S. (1983)
- To monitor all activities and have budget oversight responsibilities for those agencies, boards and commissions as listed in Rule 3, Section 20.
- To monitor new prison construction by the Texas Department of Corrections.
- To have oversight of the pre-parole program.
- To have oversight of the restitution center program.
- To study population and growth trends among inmates of the Texas Department of Corrections.
- To monitor activities of the Board of Pardons and Paroles including rate of paroles and rate of releases under mandatory supervision.
- To study alternatives to the current system with respect to 15 and 16 year old juveniles who commit serious felonies.
- To study judicial sentencing and advisory sentencing guidelines.
- To study rural law enforcement problems.
- To study the feasibility of initiating an inmate employment program between private industry and the Texas Department of Corrections.
- To monitor the effects of legislation pertaining to certain rules and regulations for public and private process servers.
- To study the feasibility of state subsidies to local governments for community corrections.
- To monitor other states' activities relative to prison overcrowding and federal court orders.
- To study the possible use of closed down military bases to serve as minimum security prisons.
- To study problems created for area residents in and around halfway houses which receive contractual monies from the budget of the Texas Department of Corrections and recommend.
Jim Rudd is listed as the Chair - Budget & Oversight in Index to Interim Committees from the 67th & 68th Legislatures. Frank Eikenburg is listed as Chair - Budget & Oversight in the interim report and a press release issued by Speaker of the House Gibson D. (Gib) Lewis, April 5, 1984. See House Speaker Lewis Appointments, L1801.1 P926a 1985-92 2.)
Information on this website is provided as a public service by the Legislative Reference Library. The Legislative Reference Library makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy and makes no warranty in regard to its use. Users assume all risk of reliance on the information included on this site.