Criminal Defendant's Competency, Task Force - 77th R.S. (2001)
- Karen Hale
- Gary Johnson
- D. Wayne Scott
- Brian D. Shannon
- A task force is established to review the methods and procedures used to evaluate a criminal defendant's competency to stand trial anduse of the insanity defense and to submit a report to the 78th Legislature. The task force serves in an advisory capacity.
In conducting its review of the methods and procedures used to evaluate a criminal defendant's competency to stand trial and use of the insanity defense, the task force shall:
(1) examine the process by which the examination of a defendant is initiated and administered, including the required and actual use of forms and other documentation;
(2) review the manner in which a person is appointed to conduct an examination;
(3) evaluate the adequacy of the qualifications and training of persons who may be appointed to conduct an examination;
(4) consider alternative means to:
(A) increase cost effectiveness in the examination process; and
(B) maximize third-party payment of the costs of
(5) assess the potential use and benefits of telepsychiatry.
Appointed pursuant to SB 553, effective May 26, 2001.
Senator Robert Duncan (Chair) and public member Brian Shannon appointed by the Lieutenant Governor September 17, 2003.
Representative Patricia Gray (Member) appointed by the Speaker September 13, 2001.
Ex Officio member D. Wayne Scott left his position as executive director of the Texas Department of Criminal Justice July 31, 2001. Ex Officio member Gary Johnson became executive director of the Texas Department of Criminal Justice on August 1, 2001.
The Task Force was also know as the SB 553 Task Force.
Member information is from the Texas Appointment System.
Information on this website is provided as a public service by the Legislative Reference Library. The Legislative Reference Library makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy and makes no warranty in regard to its use. Users assume all risk of reliance on the information included on this site.