Senate Committee on Veteran Affairs and Military Installations - 77th R.S. (2001)
- Monitor developments at the federal level regarding the Federal Base Realignment and Base Closure (BRAC) process, and the implementation of SB 1815 77th R.S., relating to loan assistance for communities affected by BRAC.
- Evaluate the effects of the increased bonding authority granted to the Veteran's Land Board in HB 2453 77th R.S..
- Evaluate veteran land and housing fund programs, including veteran nursing homes. The Committee shall determine if the demand for veterans nursing home beds is exceeding the available supply.
- Monitor the implementation of the following legislation from the 77th Session: HB 310 77th R.S., relating to veterans cemeteries; HB 2125, 77th R.S., relating to public school admission for military personnel and dependents; and SB 1159, 77th R.S., relating to providing state veteran services. The Committee shall also evaluate the cost-effectiveness of programs and benefits provided to veterans and their families by state agencies. The Committee should consider veterans programs administered by the U.S. Department of Veterans Administration.
- Assess the impact of the current military mobilization on persons called to active duty and their families. The Committee should examine state and federal statutes concerning active reservists and guardsmen and make recommendations, if necessary.
- Monitor the current mobilization of Texas military forces and the role of the National Guard Armories to determine if increased assistance from the state is necessary for an efficient and timely response.
Tom Haywood (Member) died 7/12/2001. Craig Estes (Member) appointed 12/10/2001. Carlos Truan (Chair) resigned 1/7/2002. Eliot Shapleigh (Acting Chair) appointed 1/7/2002.
Information on this website is provided as a public service by the Legislative Reference Library. The Legislative Reference Library makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy and makes no warranty in regard to its use. Users assume all risk of reliance on the information included on this site.