Senate Committee on Education, Interim - 75th R.S. (1997)
- Study issues related to the safety of students, teachers and visitors on public school campuses, and, if necessary, make recommendations for legislative action. The Committee should determine the amount and sources of funds spent on security efforts; consider the accountability of security officers and police officers on campuses; and review the reporting of security practices to appropriate education and law enforcement officials.
- Review the availability of drug and alcohol prevention and treatment services to students in public schools, and consider whether legislative action is necessary. The Committee should consider the services provided by schools, the amount and sources of available funds, and the existence and implementation of standards to determine the effectiveness of the services.
- Evaluate programs and services in public schools to assist students with dyslexia, hearing difficulties, or vision problems to determine whether any improvements are needed.
- Evaluate bilingual education efforts in public schools to determine the impact of such efforts.
Monitor implementation of key legislation passed by the 75th Legislature during the 1997 regular session, including: SB 133 75th R.S., relating to safe schools; HB 318 75th R.S., relating to school choice and charter schools; SB 1158 75th R.S., relating to use and funding of Education Service Centers; and SB 148 75th R.S., relating to the applicability of the Texas Academic Skills Program (TASP).
- Supplemental Charge: Evaluate whether the State should provide public school teachers with home access to computers and consider other means to promote computer literacy among public school teachers.
Information on this website is provided as a public service by the Legislative Reference Library. The Legislative Reference Library makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy and makes no warranty in regard to its use. Users assume all risk of reliance on the information included on this site.