House Committee on Business and Industry - 76th R.S. (1999)
- Examine ways to deter and punish consumer fraud directed at senior citizens, including telemarketing fraud.
- Assess the public's view of telemarketing generally, the desire and need for simpler ways to prevent nuisance calls, and whether views depend on the business of the vendor or solicitor.
- Consider the legal status and policies appropriate to any surplus funds held by the Texas Workers' Compensation Insurance Fund. The committee's consideration should be directed at assuring that sufficient funds are available to deal with all possible market conditions.
- Consider the benefits and problems associated with contingency clauses in construction contracts.
- Study the emergence of the healthcare technology industry in Texas. Identify factors promoting and inhibiting development of the industry and consider state or private actions potentially affecting its growth.
- Conduct active oversight of the agencies under the committee's jurisdiction.
Information on this website is provided as a public service by the Legislative Reference Library. The Legislative Reference Library makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy and makes no warranty in regard to its use. Users assume all risk of reliance on the information included on this site.