House Committee on Penitentiary - 14th R.S. (1874)
- Charles Bellinger Stewart, Chair
- Washington Lafayette Denman
- Jacob Esan Freeman
- James Marshall Harrison
- Joseph Knowles Helton
- Charles Simms Jenkins
- Hilary Manning
- Mitchell Henderson McCuistion
- William Wilson Oxsheer
- Erich F. Schmidt
- Tillman Smith
- Elias Charles Stuart
- Pinkney Samuel Watts
- Richard Henry Wood
- Resolved, that a committee of three be appointed by the Speaker, to proceed to the Penitentiary for the purpose of investigating its conditions and affairs and accounts, and also the conditions and proper treatment and comfort of the convicts. Also, to inquire into the accounts of the inspectors of the Penitentiary since the day it was leased out; to ascertain what sum or sums of money have been appropriated to said Penitentiary by the Legislature since its lease; into whose hands said appropriations have come; what disposition has been made of the same; and whether or not proper vouchers have been filed, showing how said appropriations have been disposed of. And to inquire further what sum or sums of money, if any, belonging to the convicts has or have come into the hands of any or either of said inspectors or any other person or persons, and also the name or names of said convicts; and what disposition has been made of said convicts' money, and whether such convicts be dead of living; the number and name of convicts who have been discharged or released or escaped, and upon what grounds discharged or released; the number and names of the convicts who have died and who have been killed, in attempting to make escape or otherwise; and report by resolution or otherwise.
- Examine the imprisonment of juvenile offenders.
Watts added in place of Stuart of Falls, 2/12/1874 (House Journal, 14th R.S., pp. 98-99).
Wood added 1/12/1875 (House Journal, 14th 2nd R.S., p. 9).
Information on this website is provided as a public service by the Legislative Reference Library. The Legislative Reference Library makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy and makes no warranty in regard to its use. Users assume all risk of reliance on the information included on this site.