Senate Committee on Health and Human Services - 77th R.S. (2001)
Review, evaluate, and make recommendations on the following mental health and mental retardation issues:
a. Availability and adequacy of mental health services for children and adolescents and their families, including services funded through the mental health system, Medicaid, and the Children's Health Insurance Program, and other funding sources the Committee considers relevant.
b. Community mental health services delivery structure, including evaluating the efficacy of continuation or expansion of the NorthStar managed care pilot and the role of local community MHMR centers as mental health authorities.
c. Texas Department of Mental Health and Mental Retardation's allocation formulas for distributing mental health and mental retardation funds to local communities.
- Review, evaluate and make recommendations to improve the effectiveness of the state's Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF), Welfare-to-work, child care and related programs in moving families out of poverty to self-sufficiency, with special focus on expiration of the state's federal waiver in FY 2002. Monitor federal reauthorization activities on these programs.
- Review, evaluate and make recommendations to improve Texas' Supplemental Security Income disability determination procedures. The Committee should compare Texas' denial rate with other states' rates, analyze any changes in Texas' rate, and examine the impact of Texas' system on Medicaid coverage for the uninsured.
- Evaluate and make recommendations to improve the effectiveness of the state's public health response to bioterrorism.
- Make recommendations for improving the state's organ donatation and allocation system.
- Study and make recommendations for increasing Texas' rates of immunization against childhood communicable diseases.
- Study and make recommendations for improving reporting and training regarding the use of restraints and seclusions in facilities.
David Sibley (Member) resigned 1/9/2002. Kip Averitt (Member) appointed 4/25/2002.
Information on this website is provided as a public service by the Legislative Reference Library. The Legislative Reference Library makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy and makes no warranty in regard to its use. Users assume all risk of reliance on the information included on this site.