House Committee on Health and Welfare - 65th R.S. (1977)
- Oversight responsibility of agency expenditures and related transactions. This function shall encompass a review and monitoring of all appropriations-related actions of those agencies assigned to this committee for appropriative purposes during the 65th Regular Session of the Legislature, to wit: Department of Health Resources (less Meat Inspection), Department of Mental Health and Mental Retardation, Board of Examiners in the Basic Sciences, Board of Chiropractic Examiners, Governor's Commission on Physical Fitness, Board of Examiners in the Fitting and Dispensing of Hearing Aids, Board of Vocational Nurse Examiners, Board of Nursing Home Administrators, Board of Physical Therapy Examiners, Board of Examiners of Psychologists, Office of the Governor Committee on Aging, Department of Public Welfare, Health Facilities Commission, Board of Dental Examiners, Board of Medical Examiners, Texas Optometry Board.
- A study of the possible need for reorganization of the State's human resources delivery agencies: the Texas Department of Human Resources, the Governor's Committee on Aging, the Texas Youth Council and the Texas Department of Community Affairs. This study should include a review of the functions of and operations of these agencies and should make recommendations as to necessary legislative changes, if any.
- Review the implementation of SB 700, 65th R.S., (the legislation detailing the legal rights of the retarded) by MHMR and make recommendations as to further legislative action needed, if any.
- Review and monitor the effect and impact on the state of the passage of and judicial interpretations of Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, dealing with rights of the handicapped. This study should include specific recommendations as to possible state action, legislative or judicial, to protect the state's best interests in this manner as well as recommended legislation designed to meet criteria for state implementation of the federal law.
- A study of the Texas Health Facilities Commission to determine the effectiveness of that agency and of health systems agencies in health facility planning including a review of the current fee schedule and of the necessity, if any, for the Department of Health Facilities to have input into nursing home expansion requests and decisions.
Expand the charge regarding studying the possible need for reorganization of the State's human resource delivery agencies to include the following agencies:
Texas Department of Mental Health and Mental Retardation
Texas Department of Health
Texas Rehabilitation Commission
Texas Commission on Alcoholism
Charges are from Interim Committees 62d-66th Legislatures, L1800.1 IN8 1971-1979.
Kenneth Vaughan (Member) resigned 6/5/1977.
Anita Hill (Member) appointed September 1977. (Press Release from Bill Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House of Representatives, September 26, 1977. See House Press Memos 1978, L1801.1 P926 1978.)
Buck Florence (Member) resigned from the Committee on Health and Welfare 5/1/1978. (Memorandum from Bill Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House of Representatives, May 1, 1978. See House Press Memos 1978, L1801.1 P926 1978.)
Hector Uribe (Member) appointed 5/1/1978. (Memorandum from Bill Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House of Representatives, May 1, 1978. See House Press Memos 1978, L1801.1 P926 1978.)
Additional agencies added to the charge regarding reorganization of the State's human resource delivery agencies March 9, 1978. (Memorandum from Speaker of the House Bill Clayton, 3/9/1978)
Information on this website is provided as a public service by the Legislative Reference Library. The Legislative Reference Library makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy and makes no warranty in regard to its use. Users assume all risk of reliance on the information included on this site.