House Committee on Public Education - 66th R.S. (1979)
- Review present funding and program needs of career education in Texas.
Oversight functions shall be conducted for all appropriations-related actions of those agencies assigned to this committee for appropriative purposes during the 66th Regular Session of the Legislature. The agencies include:
State Board of Education
Central Education Agency
Schools for the Blind and Deaf
Advisory Council for Technical-Vocational Education
- Outline the statutorily defined role and scope of regional service centers in Texas and recommend revisions in law and in administration to properly focus the purposes of the centers.
- Determine the feasibility, both administratively and financially, of incentive pay provisions for teachers.
- Study thoroughly the current system of teacher certification in Texas and recommend needed changes to insure quality in the teaching profession.
- Monitor the efforts of the State Board of Education as is fulfills the requirements of HCR 90, 66th R.S., dealing with curriculum reform.
- Compile a list of the types of bilingual education programs in other states and summarize the findings of recent studies on this issue; examine the program in Texas to determine its effectiveness and need.
- Evaluate the current system of textbook selection in Texas, both in terms of the Textbook Committee at the state level and the individual schools at the local level. Attention should be given to the composition of the Textbook Committee, the involvement of the State Board of Education, the influence of the publishing companies, and the citizen input involved in the process.
Information on this website is provided as a public service by the Legislative Reference Library. The Legislative Reference Library makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy and makes no warranty in regard to its use. Users assume all risk of reliance on the information included on this site.