House Committee on Judicial Affairs - 67th R.S. (1981)
- Analyze, in cooperation with the Office of Court Administration of the Texas Judicial System, comparative needs related to court clerks, briefing attorneys, legal counselors, legal secretaries, and other specialized staff to study personnel needs of each of Texas' 14 courts of appeals.
- Investigate existing neighborhood dispute centers and report on their operations.
- Examine the current procedures used for resolutions to sue the state to determine if specific guidelines should be implemented.
- Study the alternative of creating a unified county courts at law system.
- Examine Texas' visiting judge program to determine if changes are necessary.
- Study methods to help equalize the caseloads of district judges in urban areas.
- Examine methods of reducing trial court delay.
Oversight functions shall be conducted for all appropriations-related actions of those agencies assigned to this committee for appropriative purposes during the 67th Regular Session of the Legislature. In addition, a study should be made of the impact of any federal cuts, and the differences in the operational aspect of the agencies under block vs. categorical grants. Close scrutiny should be given to each agency to ascertain if legislative intent is being carried out in the rules promulgated by the agency and if the rules are feasible and practical in their application. These agencies include:
Courts of Civil Appeals
Supreme Court of Texas
Judiciary Section, Comptroller's Department
Commission on Judicial Conduct
Attorney General's Office (partial)
Board of Law Examiners
State Bar of Texas
House Journal committee appointments, 67th Legislature show "District 83" appointed. This seat was later filled by Ashley Smith (sworn 1/27/1981).
Information on this website is provided as a public service by the Legislative Reference Library. The Legislative Reference Library makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy and makes no warranty in regard to its use. Users assume all risk of reliance on the information included on this site.