Senate Committee on Natural Resources - 69th R.S. (1985)
- Study the problems associated with inadequate water and wastewater systems in colonias. Examine some of the resources and funds outside the Water Development Board that could be used to improve water and sewer service in the colonias.*
- Study issues associated with water supplies in Houston, including groundwater availability, subsistence, flooding, urban runoff and non-point source water pollution.*
- Study groundwater use, quality and protection in the El Paso area.*
- Review alternatives to landfills and injection wells for the disposal of hazardous wastes. Consider methods to treat or destroy hazardous wastes, as well as efforts to reduce waste production.
- Review the history of horse racing in Texas; consider the possible economic and social costs and benefits of pari-mutuel betting on horse races. Study the predicted effects of legalizing pari-mutuel betting the Texas farm economy. *
- Review development of alternative energy sources and renewable energy sources; consider methods to encourage the development of renewable energy sources in Texas.
- Hold public hearings on issues related to the production of white oil (chilled, condensed natural gas) in the Texas Panhandle. Consider the effects of the Railroad Commission's ruling on white oil on the oil and gas industry and the economy of the Texas Panhandle. Review federal court actions related to the dispute.
* This represents an abstract of the report contents. Charge text is incomplete or unavailable.
John Montford (Vice-Chair) and John Whitmire (Member) appointed 5/27/1985.
2nd C.S.: John Traeger (Member) appointed 8/5/1986, replacing Truan. Ed Howard (Member) appointed 8/12/1986, replacing Traeger.
3rd C.S.: Richard Anderson (Member) appointed 9/22/1986.
Information on this website is provided as a public service by the Legislative Reference Library. The Legislative Reference Library makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy and makes no warranty in regard to its use. Users assume all risk of reliance on the information included on this site.