Joseph Chappell Hutcheson
Full Name: Joseph Chappell Hutcheson, Sr.
Date of birth: May 18, 1842
Date of death: May 25, 1924
Biographical Notes and Resources top
Resolutions and Journal entries
- 28th Legislature, 1st C.S., 4/29/1903, pp. 220-226. Mentioned in the presentation address of the oil portrait of Judge A.W. Terrell.
- Biographical sketch, Joseph Chappell Hutcheson, Volume I, p. 208.
Americans of Gentle Birth and Their Ancestors, 1903.
- HUTCHESON, Joseph Chappell (1842-1924). Representative, TX. Death date 5/25/1924.
Biographical Directory of the U.S. Congress.
- Joseph Chappell Hutcheson, birth date 5/18/1842 in Mecklenburg County, Virginia; death date 5/26/1924; Captain, C.S.A. (1842-1924); burial in Glenwood Cemetery, Houston, Harris County. Includes portrait, biographical sketch.
Find a Grave.
- Biographical sketch, Guide to the Hutcheson and Allied Families Papers, 1836-1997. Hutcheson served in 1890 as chairman of the State Democratic Convention.
Fondren Library, Rice University.
- HUTCHESON, JOSEPH CHAPPELL (1842-1924).
Handbook of Texas Online.
- Obituary and photo, "Capt. Hutcheson, Pioneer Is Dead," and "Captain Joseph Chappell Hutcheson: An Editorial," The Houston Post, 5/26/1924, p. 1. Died 5/25/1924 at his summer home near Chattanooga, Tennessee.
Portal to Texas History (University of North Texas Libraries).
- Biographical sketch, William Palmer Hutcheson, son of Joseph Chappell Hutcheson (death date 5/17/1924). Volume I.
Texas Under Many Flags, 1930.
Military Service Notes
- Confederate States Army, Captain, Company E, 14th Virginia Infantry Regiment, from 8/8/1864; 2nd Lieutenant, Company E, 14th Virginia Infantry Regiment, from 11/18/1864; Private, Company C, 21st Virginia Infantry Regiment, 6/20/1861. Postwar Houston lawyer, 1874; state legislator; chairman, Texas Democratic Convention, 1890; U.S. Congressman. Joseph Chappell Hutcheson, U.S., Confederate Officers Card Index, 1861-1865; U.S., Civil War Soldier Records and Profiles, 1861-1865.
- Biographical sketch, pp. 158-159.
Texans Who Wore the Gray, 1907.
- Joseph Chappel Hutcheson.
Texas Burial Sites of Civil War Notables: A Biographical and Pictorial Field Guide, 2002.
- Biographical sketch, pp. 61, 160.
Texas in the War, 1861-1865, 1965.
- Mentioned in biographical sketch of Herbert Farrar Hutcheson, Makers of America: Biographies of Leading Men of Thought and Action, pp. 443-444.
- Hutcheson, Joseph Chappell (1842-1924) of Houston, Harris County, Tex. Born in Virginia, 1842. Democrat. Member of Texas state legislature; U.S. Representative from Texas 1st District, 1893-97. Died in 1924. Interment at Glenwood Cemetery, Houston, Tex.
Political Graveyard: a Database of Historic Cemeteries.
J.C. Hutcheson, 17th Legislature, Texas State Library and Archives Commission
Composite Photographs on Display in the Capitol
Committee Information top
This website is a work in progress. Information on this website is provided as a public service by the Legislative Reference Library. The Legislative Reference Library makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy and makes no warranty in regard to its use. Users assume all risk of reliance on the information included on this site.
Have a question, comment or contribution? Email the Library or call 512-463-1252.
Many photos in Texas Legislators: Past and Present are used with permission of the Texas State Preservation Board. For permission to reproduce these photos, please contact the Texas State Preservation Board graphics coordinator at 512-475-3060.