House Committee on Health Services - 66th R.S. (1979)
- Determine what standards, operational changes, funding, and other matters are needed to improve outpatient health facilities and rural health clinics.
- Study the implementation of HB 1323, 66th R.S., and determine if additional authority is needed for the Board of Health to effectively deal with the statewide control and eradication of rabies.
- Recommend means of eliminating the shortage of nursing home care in Texas with emphasis on needed statutory changes, funding needs, and alternative care.
- Review the Child Care Licensing Act of 1975 exploring the constitutional aspects of State involvement in such licensure.
- Review the effects of the Uniform Alcoholism and Intoxication Treatment Act on those states which have implemented it; determine the cost of enforcing the state laws dealing with public intoxication, and make recommendations regarding the feasibility of decriminalizing public intoxication.
- Study the operations of health systems agencies (HSA) in Texas as to their responsiveness to local needs, adherence to the State Health Plan, and overall productivity and effectiveness.
- Study the Texas Department of Health (TDH) to monitor its growth and determine its role and scope and future needs.
- Study the implications of Texas Attorney General Opinion H-1295 and other legal restraints on the use of protocols and standing orders in the provision of health services.
Oversight functions shall be conducted for all appropriations-related actions of those agencies assigned to this committee for appropriate purposes during the 66th Regular Session of the Legislature. The agencies include:
Texas Department of Health
Texas Department of Mental Health and Mental Retardation
Texas Health Facilities Commission
Commission on Alcoholism
Department of Human Resources (partial -- Medical Services)
Board of Examiners in the Basic Sciences
Chiropractic Examiners Board
Governor's Commission on Physical Fitness
Board of Examiners in the Fitting and Dispensing of Hearing Aids
Vocational Nurse Examiners
Board of Licensure for Nursing Home Administrators
Board of Physical Therapy Examiners
Texas State Board of Examiners of Psychologists
Board of Dental Examiners
Board of Medical Examiners
Texas Optometry Board
- Monitor and assist the Sunset Commission as it reviews all agencies under the appropriative jurisdiction of this committee.
- Monitor the activities of the select committee created by SR 462, 66th R.S., by Kothman to study security problems at the San Antonio State Hospital. The committee is authorized to provide, on request, assistance to this committee.
Michael Ezzell (Chair) resigned 10/15/1980.
Information on this website is provided as a public service by the Legislative Reference Library. The Legislative Reference Library makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy and makes no warranty in regard to its use. Users assume all risk of reliance on the information included on this site.