House Committee on Urban Affairs - 85th R.S. (2017)
Monitor housing needs in areas impacted by Hurricane Harvey and related flooding, including:
a. The local, state, and federal governments' responses to short-term and long-term housing needs for those displaced by the storm; and
b. Changes in affordable and low-income housing needs in affected areas.
Make recommendations to improve and accelerate the response to existing and future housing needs related to Hurricane Harvey and future natural disasters, including:
a. The viability of set-asides under current state and federal programs to address natural disaster-related contingencies; and
b. How best to rebuild and revitalize impacted communities to mitigate future disaster-related damage.
- Monitor and evaluate the need for affordable housing in urban and rural areas across the State of Texas. Examine whether existing housing programs are adequately addressing the needs for affordable housing. Identify prospective and innovative ideas and solutions to address affordable housing needs in Texas.
- Evaluate the existing situation of and needs associated with migrant labor housing facilities.
- Examine local government oversight of abandoned and substandard buildings, including buildings of historical significance. Identify ways to best address these issues in an efficient and effective manner.
- Study the overlays among housing instability, homelessness, and mental illness. Review the availability of supportive housing opportunities for individuals with mental illness. Consider options to address housing stability and homelessness among people with mental illness. (Joint charge with the House Committee on Public Health)
- Monitor the agencies and programs under the Committee’s jurisdiction and oversee the implementation of relevant legislation passed by the 85th Legislature.
Information on this website is provided as a public service by the Legislative Reference Library. The Legislative Reference Library makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy and makes no warranty in regard to its use. Users assume all risk of reliance on the information included on this site.